I’m sharing my holiday haircare routine with you because over the years I’ve tried and tested different ways to keep my hair healthy whilst on Vacation. Here I’ll share what I’ve learnt and what works for me.
I’ve had long hair for years, I love to keep it long but it does mean it’s pretty high maintenance. Regardless of your hair length, there’s no doubt that when you add sea, sun and chlorine to the mix hair can become very dry and dull. Using some good products and adopting a few strategies and a haircare routine I’ve found that my hair can actually flourish in these conditions.
Here is the Haircare Routine I adopt when on holidays.
Holiday Haircare Routine
- Hair Trim. First of all, I always go and have a trim/dusting before I go on holiday. If I don’t do this and I go away with hair that is already suffering from some split ends my hair just breaks further. Sun, Sea and Pool water plays havoc with split ends and as a result, I’ve found it really hard to detangle my hair and style it in the evenings. If I don’t get a trim before I go, I always then need a good amount chopped off when I get back because it ends up in such bad condition.
- Mid Day Sun. Like my face, these days I keep my hair out of the hottest times of the day. In my teens and 20’s, I didn’t give it a second thought being out in the sun all day. Now in my 30’s I am much more careful with my skin and hair. wearing a big sun hat that covers my face and hair is a must and swimming either in the morning or afternoon sun so it’s not so harsh on my skin and hair.
- Shampoo and Conditioner. I use a different shampoo and conditioner as part of my Haircare Routine when I am away. I choose one that is specific to damage, processed or repair. That way when I’m washing my hair I am replenishing some of the vitamins it’s loosing during the day. The holiday we just had on Cape Cod I used Aveda Damage Remedy. Which is packed full of protein that prevents the hair from getting damaged. It also leaves my hair super soft which I love. The main selling point for me is that it is Organic! Aveda is pretty pricey, you may not want to spend that much. Here is a mid and low price point alternative. As I’ve said before, what REALLY matters is the ingredient over a brand. For hair that’s out in the sun, it’s best to go for a high Protein-based product. A mid-priced option is Keratin Phyto-Protein Sulfate-free Strengthening Shampoo and Conditioner. A low-priced option is Anti-breakage Keratin Oil Shampoo.
- Hair Protector. I always use an SPF as part of my Haircare Routine. I use this one.
- Deep Conditioning. If I am near an outdoor shower, I will always wash my hair before finishing up in the sun and put on my conditioner and leave it in for half an hour. This helps the conditioner penetrate the hair further as the heat helps provide a deep conditioning. Adding this step to my Haircare Routine makes it extra soft! and easy to style if you are then heading out in the evening.
Shop My Holiday Haircare Routine Products